The arrival of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway in North Lincolnshire transformed Grimsby into the world’s premier fishing port. At the same time it became an important trading centre for coal, timber and general merchandise.
As coal traffic increased, the docks diminishing capacity to deal with it gave cause for concern.
The Great Central Railway, which succeeded the MS&LR in 1897, decided to build a new port to relieve pressure on Grimsby.
The tiny village of Immingham was chosen as the site of the new dock. It became a port with a deep-water dock and a land locked harbour, entered by a deep water channel, through which the largest trading vessel could pass.
This new book, published by the Lincolnshire Wolds Railway Society, tells its story from inception to the present day.